Thursday, February 19, 2009

Belgian?...All I Tasted Was Fruit!


I like grapes, apples, kiwi, and many other fruits. They provide healthy energy, and plenty of vitamins. I like beer. Good, strong, hoppy beer. Apparently in Belgium, they like to drink beer, but ruin it with their daily dose of fruits. I tried the following beers at the iTap Room on Sunday evening: Lindemans Framboise, Delirium Tremens, La Chouffe, and I think Gouden Carolus Gran Cru...after a while, they all tasted like V8 Splash and beer. They all sound "fruity" and believe me, they were.


Luckily, to save the sample paddle from complete doom, I saved the O'Fallon Cocoa Creme Stout for last. It was tasty! It tasted more like a Coffee Stout than cocoa or creme, so maybe the title is a bit misleading. However, it went down smooth, and gave me reason to love the American micro-brews even more...I have to admit, the Cocoa Creme Stout could be mediocre if tasted on its own, but after the hell my taste buds had trudged through for the previous 20 minutes, it was like Jesus turned water into Cocoa Creme Stout just for me!

2 comments:

  1. i second that.
    The hops prescription makes a good point here. These foreigners didn't even come to compete with the american breweries.
    I had New Belgium's Mighty Arrow (Spring seasonal), O'Fallon's 5 day IPA as well as the Cocoa Creme Stout, and they were by far the best threee that i had all night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had THE worst experience at our last meeting - all in favor? I'll post my meeting minutes soon.

    ReplyDelete