Saturday, February 21, 2009



SAMICHLAUS - or Santa Claus, pronounced Sommy-Claus

An old beer. One of the worlds strongest lagers at 14% ABV. Guiness book of world records flat out says, strongest lagers in the world.

There's a lot of history to this beer. Sought after by beer lovers from across the globe. I have respect for it NOW. After researching for this post.

I had this at iTAP. I had no idea what I was ordering. I wish I knew then what I know now. I wish I had read Michael Jackson's beer hunter review of this. I wish someone at iTAP could have given me a little more info about the beer. Maybe a heads up that it was going to cost me $9!

It's been around since the 1600s, great. I respect beer. All beer. Beer is great. BUT regardless of the culture that surrounds Samichlaus I hated the beer. Hated it. I thought I was drinking a glass of real cheap sweet wine. This was my second beer of the night at Beer Clubs last meeting. I don't know how long it took me to finish this but the Baker and Dr. Hops were working on their sample paddle enjoying themselves while I was working hard to get the job done. Some say this beer is smooth and warm - a great beer for the cold temps or getting away from the fam at Christmas. SO! Smooth is not always a good thing. Yeah it was smooth but so is SH*T sometimes. And getting away from the fam? If the former situation is hell, why slave to get away to another hell? Maybe I'm being a little to hard here. The bottom line is that I really didn't like the beer. Sweet beer is not my bag.

1 comment:

  1. I'll have sweet tea instead...it's much better, and it only cost me a couple of cents to brew it!

    ReplyDelete